Daily Widget, printed.owl.com

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21

"The passion for office among members of Congress is very great, if not absolutely disreputable, and greatly embarrasses...the government. They create offices by their own votes and then seek to fill them themselves."

James K. Polk, 11th President, 1845-1849-from The Diary of James K. Polk During His Presidency, 1845 to 1849 ..., Volume 1, Monday, June , 22, 1846.-How's your Monday going?" This entry was written as the Mexican-American War was in its initial stages. The conflict erupted over the dispute of the annexation of Texas from Mexico by the United States. Polk and others also desired to expand to the Pacific, believing to be justified by the concept of "Manifest Destiny", and in order to prevent England and other countries from gaining a foothold in the west. The war, however, was not universally supported by all Americans. Partially in opposition to the war (and slavery), Henry David Thoreau wrote his famous essay, "Civil Disobedience". Here President Polk writes in his diary,"...I had a very busy day...I was chiefly engaged in considering the matter of executing the act of the 18th Instant making further provision for the prosecution of the war against Mexico...two Senators and several of the Representatives from the State of Illinois called today and presented their joint recommendation in writing in favour of persons to fill the staff offices of Illinois volunteers... They recommended Hon. Mr. Douglas of Illinois (of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858- my insertion) to be Brigade Major, an appointment which by the act I am not authorized to make...The truth is...several members of Congress who are militia officers desire to get commands for themselves, and therefore oppose any amendment of the act of June 18th, 1846 which requires me to select the Brigadier and Major Generals from the officers now in command of the the militia in the States. The passion for office among members of Congress is very great, if not absolutely disreputable, and greatly embarrasses the operation of the government... I shall refuse to appoint them, though it be at the almost certain hazard of incurring their displeasure. I am aware that by refusing their applications I may reduce my administration to a minority in both Houses of Congress, but if such be the result I shall have the high satisfaction of having discharged my duty in resisting the selfishness of members of Congress, who are willing to abandon their duty to their constituents and provide places for themselves. I will not countenance such selfishness, but will do my duty, and rely on the country for an honest support of my administration."

No comments:

Post a Comment