Daily Widget, printed.owl.com

Saturday, June 2, 2012

July 25 Our constitution works. Our great republic is a government of laws, not of men. Gerald R. Ford, 38th President, 1974-1977 Remarks By Gerald Ford On Taking the Oath Of Office As President The oath that I have taken is the same oath that was taken by George Washington and by every President under the Constitution. But I assume the Presidency under extraordinary circumstances never before experienced by Americans. This is an hour of history that troubles our minds and hurts our hearts. I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people. I believe that truth is the glue that holds government together, not only our Government but civilization itself. That bond, though strained, is unbroken at home and abroad. Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice but mercy. Richard Nixon resigned the Presidency on August 9, 1974 and Gerald Ford ascended to the office after he had recently been appointed Vice-President after the resignation of previous vice-President, Spiro T. Agnew.

No comments:

Post a Comment