Daily Widget, printed.owl.com

Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 13

"I will never forget that the only reason I'm standing here today is because somebody somewhere stood up for me when it was risky...when it was hard, wasn't popular. And because that somebody stood up, a few more, and then a few thousand, and then a few million stood up. And standing up with courage and clear purpose they somehow managed to change the world."

Barack Obama, 44th President, 2009- -Remarks at the Democratic National Committee Fall Meeting in Washington, DC November 30, 2007Senator Obama was swept into office in 2008, gaining almost rock-star like popularity with great crowds at his speeches and rallies. Here he lays out his case for election to his fellow Democrats:"...This party - the party of Jefferson and Jackson; of Roosevelt and Kennedy - has always made the biggest difference in the lives of the American people when we led, not by polls, but by principle; not by calculation, but by conviction; when we summoned the entire nation to a common purpose - a higher purpose. And I run for the Presidency of the United States of America because that's the party America needs us to be right now. A party that doesn't just offer change as a slogan, but real, meaningful change - change that America can believe in...That is why I am in it. I'm in this race because I want to stop talking about the outrage of 47 million Americans without health care and start actually doing something about it. I expanded health care in Illinois by bringing Democrats and Republicans together. By taking on the insurance industry. And I have put forth a universal health care plan that will do more to cut the cost of health care than any other proposal in this race... I'm in this race for the same reason that I fought for jobs for the jobless and hope for the hopeless on the streets of Chicago; for the same reason I fought for justice and equality as a civil rights lawyer; for the same reason that I fought for Illinois families for over a decade. Because I will never forget that the only reason that I'm standing here today is because somebody, somewhere stood up for me when it was risky. Stood up when it was hard. Stood up when it wasn't popular. And because that somebody stood up, a few more stood up. And then a few thousand stood up. And then a few million stood up. And standing up, with courage and clear purpose, they somehow managed to change the world. That's why I'm running, Democrats - to give our children and grandchildren the same chances somebody gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment