Daily Widget, printed.owl.com

Monday, December 26, 2011

December 29

"I have nothing to fear in my approaching death. To me it is the mere shadow of God's approaching wing."

Andrew Johnson, 17th President, 1865-1869, Born December 29, 1808, died July 31, 1875. These words were written by Johnson in 1873, two years before his death. After his term as President, he had returned to his native state of Tennessee. In the summer of that year there was a severe outbreak of Cholera. Many people left but Johnson and his daughter, Martha, stayed and attempted to aid those who had become sick. Johnson came down with the disease, and near death, had retired to his daughter's house and prepared these words:"I have performed my duty to my God, my country and my family. I have nothing to fear. Approaching death to me is the mere shadow of God’s protecting wing. Beneath it I feel almost sacred. Here I know no evil can come; there will I rest in quiet and peace, beyond the reach of calumny’s poisoned shaft, the influence of envy and jealous enemies, where treason and traitors in state, backsliders and hypocrites in church, can have no place; where the great fact will be realized that God is truth, and gratitude is the highest attribute of man."Johnson did, in fact, recover, was re-elected to the Senate where he suffered a stroke and died in 1875. He was brought home and buried at his home in Greeneville, Tennessee. At his request, he was buried with a rolled up copy of the constitution as his eternal pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment